Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,095 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1785 Thomas Williams became the active partner of Lord Uxbridge in the Mona Mine Co, the second major Anglesey mine; this became the basis for another manufacturing organization parallel to that of the Parys Mine Co. Warehouses, offices, roasting kilns, and smelters were set up near the mine on the mountain or in Amlwch Port. In addition a new pier and quay were built at the port.
A separate company known as the Stanley Co smelted the ore from the Mona mine at works which were set up near St Helens and at Middle bank works in Swansea.
A subsidiary manufacturing company called the Greenfield Copper and Brass Co was set up in Flintshire. This company took the copper from the Stanley works and reacted it with calamine to make brass. This was then used to make a wide variety of articles.
1802 Thomas Williams died
Over the next 5 years production of copper dropped dramatically.
By 1808 only 120 men were employed at the Parys and Mona mines.
1811 the control of both mines passed to Lord Uxbridge. A new Mona mine company was formed when John Vivian (or was it John Henry Vivian?) of the Swansea copper family took a controlling interest in the mines. Underground working was opened up further. This was the period of an influx of Cornish workers.
1811 Treweek from Cornwall became manager of the Mona mine.
By 1828 Treweek was also in charge of the precipitation pits at the mine and the operation of the Parys Mine.
By 1829 the price and demand was dropping again and the number of employees at the mine were reduced.
1851 Treweek held control of most aspects of mine operation until his death in 1851.
As the production from Mona and Parys mines dropped, additional material for smelting was brought in from other parts of Britain.
1866 The Mona mine was leased to Thomas Fanning Evans and John Wynne Paynter.
1880 Mona Mines Ltd took over the assets
1885 the company was wound up.
1899 The company was merged with the Parys Mine to form Mona and Parys Mines Ltd. Activity was concentrated at the precipitation and ochre works at Dyffryn Adda.