Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,106 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The term Milk of Magnesia was first used as a white-coloured, aqueous, mildly alkaline suspension of magnesium hydroxide formulated by Charles Henry Phillips in 1880 and sold under the brand name Phillips' Milk of Magnesia for medicinal usage.
In the UK, the non-brand (generic) name of Milk of Magnesia and Phillips' Milk of Magnesia is Cream of Magnesia (Magnesium Hydroxide Mixture, BP).
1873 Charles Henry Phillips invented a mixture magnesium hydroxide in water that was used as an antacid and laxative.
1879 British trademark was registered for Milk of Magnesia.
1894 A trademark for Milk of Magnesia was registered in America.
1882 Charles Henry Phillips died and his four sons took over the running of the company, called the Charles H. Phillips Chemical Co.
1923 Company was acquired by the Sterling Drug Inc.
1930-40s Company produced the lesser known Phillips Milk of Magnesia Cleansing Cream and Phillips Milk of Magnesia Texture Cream, both used for improving skin complexion.
2008 The brand is owned by GlaxoSmithKline in the UK, and by Bayer Healthcare in America.