Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,954 pages of information and 232,838 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1840 Royal Artillery Institution formed so that artillery officers could study science and languages, funded by voluntary contributions
1850 Public grant of money to the Institution
Lieut Henry Scott started a laboratory, with the object of inducing the young officers of the Royal Engineers to study chemistry, and at the same time he instituted a series of experiments on limes and cements, that led to the discovery of the material now known as Selenitic cement.
1864 The first Advanced Class for gunnery officers was arranged, involving the appointment of a small staff of instructors, the beginning of the college
1885 The Advanced Class was opened up to all arms; the College was formed, taking over part of Red Barracks at Woolwich
1889 Became the Ordnance College; the first Commandant was appointed
Post WWI: renamed Artillery College
1927 Became the Military College of Science
Brief spell at Lydd before WWII when the College split up
post WWII: the College reassembled at Shrivenham
1953 Title changed to Royal Military College of Science