Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ferry Road, Middlesbrough, Tees Valley, TS2 1PL.
Following a 1907 Act of Parliament the bridge was built at a cost of £68,026 6s 8d, by William Arrol and Co of Glasgow to replace an earlier steam ferry. A transporter bridge was chosen because Parliament ruled that the new scheme of crossing the river had to avoid affecting the river navigation.
1906 Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co were appointed to act as the advising engineers to the Middlesbrough Corporation. The Cleveland Bridge Company agreed to prepare plans and specifications to be used by the Corporation when seeking parliamentary powers.
1907 of the 6 tenders received, the lowest was by William Arrol and Co and this was selected.
1909 Construction started
1911 Formally opened on 17th October 1911 by His Royal Highness Prince Arthur of Connaught.