Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 130,433 pages of information and 207,167 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 145 Saint Vincent Street, Glasgow (1935)
1920 William Edward Evans gained a patent (presumably on a method of production of oxygen)
Began business as ship breakers, marine salvage, metal merchants and refiners in Charlestown, Fife.
1922 Company formed as Alloa Shipbreaking Co.
1926 Acquired Rosyth Shipbreaking Co, of HM Dockyard, Rosyth
1929 Company name changed to Metal Industries.
1933 Acquired marine salvage undertaking at Scapa Flow of Cox and Danks
1935 Became a public company - metal merchants, metal refiners, ship breakers, and ship salvers at H.M. Dockyard Rosyth and Charlestown, Fife and Scapa Flow.
1937 Metal merchants. 
1943 Acquired Electrical Switchgear and Associated Manufacturers Ltd, which owned Brookhirst Switchgear Ltd; also acquired Igranic Electric Co of Bedford; had increased shareholding in Sentinel Waggon Works (1936) Ltd.
Postwar: acquired facilities at Faslane Port.
1947 Company was operating in three main areas:
1954/5 Acquired Finney Presses which would complement the presses business of Fawcett Preston; took over the business of unbreakable resistors of the Rheostatic Co which was put into Fawcett Preston.
Substantial management and organisation changes were made in the electrical division. Redirection of the mechanical engineering businesses away from sub-contract work
1960 Acquired Lancashire Dynamo Holdings Ltd which doubled the size of the group; rights issue to pay for the acquisition. Total of 38 subsidiaries. Towler Brothers was working with Brookhirst on a joint development.
1961 Had 24 subsidiaries manufacturing. Employs 12,000 persons. 
1967 As part of a programme of focussing on strategic assets, disposed of J. G. Statter and Co, switchgear makers to English Electric Co, and Fawcett, Preston and Co, rubber and plastic extrusion machinery makers.
1967 Thorn Electrical Industries acquired Metal Industries after a contentious battle with Aberdare Holdings. This included Lancashire Dynamo Electronic Products which was later renamed Thorn Automation. Associated with the deal was the acquistion by AEI of Lancashire Dynamo and Crypto
Acquisition by Thorn Electrical Industries would secure sheet metal supplies for Thorn's domestic appliance business