Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,637 pages of information and 209,984 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Greenwich, London, SE10
Merryweather and Sons of Tram Locomotive Works, Greenwich Works, London SE was a company producing steam fire and pump engines.
1690 The firm was established soon after the Great Fire of London, in Cross Street.
At some point Nathaniel Hadley became involved in the business
The company moved to Bow Street, Longacre.
1836 The company was taken over by Moses Merryweather
By 1861 the company was Merryweather and Son, presumably involving Richard Moses Merryweather
1860s The company was known as Merryweather and Field with Field specialising in the boiler part of the business.
1862 The Lambeth branch was opened and closed in 1879.
1863 The firm was known as Merryweather and Sons.
1864 James Compton Merryweather joined his brother and father in the business.
1872 Henry Merryweather became a partner in the business.
Tramway Locomotives: An article in the 'Model Engineer' in 1956  describes aspects of Merryweather’s tramway locomotives. Their first venture was proposed by John Grantham in 1870, and built in 1873 by Merryweather in conjunction with the Oldbury Carriage and Wagon Co. It first ran experimentally in West Brompton, and then on the horse tramway track on Vauxhall Bridge Road. The trials were not very satisfactory, and the locomotive was modified by Edward Woods, and used from c.1876 to 1881 on the Wantage Tramroad. From 1875, engines were supplied to Paris, Rouen, Holland, Spain (Barcelona and San Andres Tramway), Guernsey, Cassel, Adelaide, Rangoon, Wellington (NZ), Buenos Aires, and Brazil (Dom Pedro tramway). In the UK, locomomotives were supplied to the North Staffordshire Tramway (Stoke to Hanley), Alford & Sutton (Lincs),and London. Further detail on the tramway locomotives may be found in 'Tramways - Their Construction and Working' 
1875-77 They supplied 46 tram engines to Paris tramways. Construction of tram engines was carried on until 1892.
1876 The company moved to premises in Greenwich.
1885 Horse-drawn steam fire engine exhibit. 
1888 Issued catalogue of steam fire engines, manual fire engines, fire mains. Three catalogues bound in to one. 
c1891. A Merryweather steam fire engine was bought new by the Bassett family of Tehidy Park, Camborne to serve Tehidy House.
1892 The company was registered on 22 March, to acquire the business of engineers of the firm of the same name. 
1894 Article on the trials of their floating steam fire-engine. 
1900 Showed a steam fire engine at the Paris Exhibition. 
1900 Article and illustration of a Portable Salvage Plant for the Dover Harbour Board in 'the Engineer'. 
1905 September. Details of their 30-hp petrol fire engine.
1911 Motor fire engine with centrifugal pump for Renfrewshire County Council. 
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Petrol Motor Commercial Vehicles see the 1917 Red Book
Sea-salvage of HMS Eden.
1914 Fire and water engineers. Specialities: steam fire engines, fire boats, motor fire apparatus, water supply, fire escapes and everything connected with fire extinction. 
1920 April. Fire-Float and Salvage and Fire-Tug. Article and photos in The engineer. 
1925 Entrusted with the fire protection of the Bath and West and Southern Counties Agricultural Show.
1928 Merryweather and Sons Ltd took over Shand, Mason and Co.
1937 Fire protection engineers.