Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,143 pages of information and 223,038 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Melincryddan Copper Works

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Smelter at Melincryddan, near Neath

1695 Established by Sir Humphrey Mackworth and his family, together with capital from other sources through the Company of Mine Adventurers.

The Coster's family business established a smelter at an abandoned works at Melincryddan, near Neath, South Wales, during the planning of a large new site at White Rock, Swansea.

1730s the Melincryddan Works was owned by Thomas Coster of Bristol and his partners. (perhaps these were Thomas Coster's Copper Works?)

1742 The Melincryddan Works was taken over by the Company of Copper Miners in England (otherwise known as the English Copper Co).

See Also


Sources of Information

  • Morgannwg Vol. 23, 1979, Enterprise and capital for non-ferrous metal smelting in Glamorgan, 1694-1924 [1]