Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 125,710 pages of information and 196,433 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Mead Cycles of Paradise Street, Liverpool and of Birmingham.
In addition to cycles they also produced motorcycles from 1911 to 1915 and from 1922 to 1924
1905 Advert. '... the Mead Cycle Company, of Coventry and Birmingham, and whose general offices are at 35 to 39 Wapping, Liverpool. The Mead Company do a very large business indeed, and their catalogue includes everything that a cyclist could possibly need. The Company especially commend their 1905 model 'Coventry Flyer' at 15 guineas...'
1911-1913 The motorcycles were produced in very small numbers and did not appear at any of the early shows, or on any lists. They were fitted with a 3.5hp Precision engine.
1911-15 The machines were built for Mead by Calthorpe.
1914 A larger motorcycle range appeared, all fitted with Precision engines. These were 2.5hp, 3.75hp and 4.25hp singles, plus 6hp and 8hp V-twins, and all had a variety of transmission options ranging from direct-belt drive to geabox and chain-cum-belt. A lightweight was later added, using a 2hp, 170cc Precision engine with in-built two-speed gear, belt drive and Druid forks.
1915 Production continued into that year and then stopped.
Post-War, they also had an address in Birmingham as well as Liverpool.
William J. Pickering after upwards of a quarter of a century's connection with the Mead Cycle Company of Sparkbrook, Birmingham, has decided to give up active participation in the conduct of the business; but his services will be retained in an advisory capacity. (extract taken from Bicycling News and Motor Review. Nov 2 1927)