Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,052 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Maudslay, Sons and Field of Lambeth Marsh, London were makers of steam engines, boilers, machine tools, and general engineers.
See also -
Machine tools were produced for their own use and for sale. See Henry Maudslay: Machine Tools.
1810 With the expansion of his business, Maudslay sought larger premises and moved to Westminster Bridge Road, where the firm remained until the end of his life.
1812 Took Joshua Field into partnership.
1820 The Partnership between Henry Maudslay, John Mendham, Thomas Henry Maudslay, and Joshua Field, trading under the firm of Henry Maudslay and Co, as Engineers and Mechanists, at Lambeth, was dissolved by mutual consent. Henry Maudslay would settle the debts
1822 the firm's name was changed to Maudslay, Son, and Field.
1826 Collapse of workshop at Lambeth Works during reconstruction and enlargement. One suggested cause was failure of an iron rafter which caused it to splay and exert a transverse force on the walls.
A public appeal for financial contributions was made on behalf of some of the victims of the collapse. They were Messrs Cross (labourer), Short (engineer), Hoare (carpenter), Foster (engineer), Blandford (bricklayer), Chaters (engineer), Story (labourer), Clark (engineer), Lee (deceased), Hadlow (carpenter), Mercer (bricklayer), Hays (labourer), Trott (bricklayer), Wade (engineer), Barnes (engineer), Eades (carpenter), Kane (carpenter). Addresses and summaries of their injuries are given. 
1828: 'An Inquest was held at the Marquis of Wellington, South, street, Lambeth, the body of D. Buckley.—John Slaney stated, that on Monday he was, with the deceased and others, on the premises of Messrs. Maudsley, engineers, in the Westminster-road, with a portable crane, raising cases, which contained machinery for boring guns, swinging the cases round as. they were hoisted. The deceased was below, at the handle of the crane, winding it up ; when suddenly it fell forwards, and deceased fell on his back. Witness assisted in removing the crane, but he was quite dead. At the time the accident happened, the deceased was heaving so violently that he was told the crane had shifted from its position, which was the cause of its pitching forward and causing his death. Witness considered the counter-balance sufficient, because it had before raised a case which was half a ton heavier. The weight of the case they were raising was about two tons.—William Meale, another labourer, stated that the deceased let go the handle of the crane, when they all fled to avoid the danger—Verdict- Accidental death, occasioned by the negligence of the workmen employed at the crane. —Deodand 5s.'
1831 Henry Maudslay died. His sons continued the business; two of them in particular made their mark on its development. The eldest son, Thomas Henry Maudslay (1792–1864), demonstrated considerable commercial ability; his third son, also a gifted engineer, was Joseph Maudslay (1801–1861).
1833 With the inclusion of Maudslay's sons the firm became Maudslay, Sons and Field.
1835 As a result of the death of Henry, the partnership of Maudslay, Sons, and Field expired and was dissolved leaving Thomas Henry Maudslay, John Maudslay, Joseph Maudslay, and Joshua Field to continue the business under that name
1837 Charles Sells, said to be the most successful designer of marine engines of the 19th century, joined Maudslay's.
1838 Beam pumping engine for Kew Bridge. Extensively modified, the engine has been preserved at Kew Bridge Steam Museum
1838-42 See 1839-1842 Marine Engine Makers for details of engines made for the Admiralty
1838-9 Built twelve railway locomotives for the London and Birmingham Railway
1839 Patented the twin cylinder engine and nicknamed the 'Siamese'
1842 Side lever engine described and illustrated by Armengaud
1843 Engines for the Royal Yacht 'Albert and Victoria' detailed
1843 Illustrations of a wooden-framed travelling crane in Maudslay's works in 'The Artizan'
1847 Charles Sells became the first head of the designing department.
1851 Award at the 1851 Great Exhibition. See details at 1851 Great Exhibition: Reports of the Juries: Class VI.
1853 Patent double cylinder marine engines (shown at 1851 Great Exhibition)
1855 Patent breech-loading cannon
1856 Subscribed £100 to the Smith Testimonial Fund, commemorating the work of F. P. Smith in promoting the screw propeller.
1861 Henry Maudslay retired from the Partnership with Thomas Henry J L Maudslay the elder, Joseph Maudslay, Joshua Field the elder, Herbert Charles Maudslay, Joshua Field the younger, Thomas Henry Maudslay the younger, Telford Field, and Daniel Fitzpatrick, carrying on business under the style or firm of Maudslay, Sons, and Field, as Engineers; at Lambeth, in the county of Surrey
1861 Joseph Maudslay died.
1862 Columnar engine in the London Science Museum
1864 Thomas Henry Maudslay died.
1865 The firm acquired the East Greenwich yard of the National Company for Boatbuilding by Machinery (Limited), which they operated as a shipyard until 1872. Subsequently the yard was converted into a boiler works.
1866 Three-cylinder steam engine for the Russian government
1868 The Hon. George Alexander Haldane Duncan became a member of the firm
1876 Detail of Sell's compound marine engines. Details of the engines for the White Star Steamship 'Britannic'.
1881 A description of their Works was published in The Engineer at The Engineer 1881/10/07.
1881 The firm decided to move its boiler making shop from Lambeth to East Greenwich
1887 The Hon. George Duncan retired and the firm was turned into a limited company
1889 Richard Sennett, having resigned as chief engineer to the Navy, joined the board.
1889 Took limited company status for the engineering business of Westminster Bridge Road.
1891 Richard Sennett died and Walter Bassett Basset became managing director.
1894 Engines of the first-class protected cruisers 'Theseus' and 'Royal Arthur' (see article and illustrations in 'The Engineer')
1894 Designed and built the 'Gigantic Wheel' at Earl's Court. (For description and images see 'The Engineer'). Managing director was W. B. Basset.
1898 Joshua Field (1829-1904) retired, having invested a large part of his personal fortune trying to save the company
1899 W. H. Maudslay retired.
The company was in financial trouble.
1900 Company closed down. The Lambeth works closed and the remaining work was transferred to East Greenwich for completion.
1900 Advert: 'Important SALE of PLANT, MACHINERY, ENGINEERS' TOOLS, HORSES, VANS, COAL WAGGONS, Brass-mounted HARNESS, &c., the property of Messrs. MAUDSLAY, SONS, and FIELD (Limited), upon their extensive Marine Engine Works and Manufacturing Premises, Westminster Lambeth, S.E., the land having been acquired by the London and South-Western Railway Company, the East Greenwich Works of the Company being carried as heretofore.—
Messrs. FAREBROTHER, ELLIS, EGERTON, BREACH, GALSWORTHY, & CO. will SELL BY AUCTION, on the premises. No. 110. Westminster Bridge-road, on MONDAY, the 23rd of April, and Following Days, the Costly COLLECTION of MODERN ENGINEERS' TOOLS, PLANT, and MACHINERY, by Whitworth, Muir, Naysmith ; Smith, Beacock, and Tannett; Shepherd, Hill, and Co., Buck and Hickman, Allcard and Slack, and other well-known makers, including a powerful vertical boring machine, with independent engine to plane 16ft. by 18ft., to bore cylinders to 120 in.
Single-headed boring machine.
A 5ft. stroke slotting machine, face lathe to take 16ft. on chuck, with independent engine.
A 40-ton overhead steam traveller and 40-ton portable hand traveller.
A pair of Tangye's powerful vertical wall engines and fittings.
A "Robey's" 20 hp. gas engine.
Five horizontal Lancashire boilers.
A marine type multitubular boiler.
Five 16 h.p. vertical engines.
A 10 h p. horizontal engine by Tangye.
Five blast fans.
Several hundred feet of turned steel and iron shafting, blocks, and other pulleys.
Four steam hammers.
A 50 h p. Belleville boiler.
150 self-acting screw-cutting, surfacing, chuck, tap, ferrule, and turret lathes from to 14 inch centres.
Several vertical milling machines.
Numerous radial and double and single-geared vertical drilling machines.
Powerful combined screwing and turning machines.
Several stud turning screwing lathes.
Steam coppersmiths' planishing hammer.
One-hand hydraulic pipe-bending press.
Foundry cranes from 5 to 15 tons.
Six 25-ton overhead travellers.
Wrought-iron foundry ladles to 10 tons.
A large quantity of cast-iron foundry moulding boxes.
Six hundred tons wrought and cast iron floor plates.
A 30-ton Pooley's waggon weighbridge, and several Pooley’s platform weighing machines.
50 Carpenters', smiths', and fitters' iron vice benches.
A superior 9ft. by 9ft. lined and planed iron surfacing-slab, and several smaller ones.
Horizontal planing machines from 3ft. by 3ft. to 8ft. on bed.
80 pairs of differential and engineers' hoisting blocks, lift from one to 20 tons.
A quantity of rope falls and chain slings.
A 60-ton Duckham's patent weighing machine.
Hydraulic and screw jacks to 30 tons.
The electric, lighting installation.
Several portable hand and derrick cranes.
Four wrought-iron brick-lined cupolas.
Several tons of rosebits, lathe, slotting, and drilling tools.
Smith's anvils and hearths, top and bottom tools and tongs.
The brick and iron erections of hot-air and other furnaces.
Several circular band wood-sawing machines.
Powerful cold iron band sawing machine and patent saw sharpener.
A 50 ton wrought iron boiler trolley and 50 boiler and plate trolleys.
A large quantity of stores, several tons of new steel, iron, and some finely-made working models of marine machinery.
Several tons of screwing tools, drills, hammers, stocks, taps- and dies.
Six powerful cart horses, averaging 16 hands, three 6-ton and four 4-ton waggons, single horse van, spring cart, and a quantity of brass-mounted and chain harness.
Office and board-room furniture, including pedestal and other writing tables, mahogany library chairs, dining-room chairs in morocco, several valuable clocks, Brussels and other carpets, clerks' mahogany desks, drawing tables, and numerous other effects.
Catalogues may be obtained, price 1s. each, of Messrs. Farebrother, Ellis, and Co., 29, Fleet-street, Temple-bar, and 18, Old Broad-street, E.C.'.
The 'beautifully-made WORKING MODELS &c, of Marine Machinery, comprising Lots Nos. 2051, 2054 to 2074 Inclusive), 2076 to 2089 (inclusive), 2112, and 2146 will be offered in ONE LOT, tomorrow (Friday)....'
1935 Plaque erected on the site of the company in Lambeth to commemorate its existence there from 1810 to 1900.