Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,850 pages of information and 228,791 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Maryport, Cumberland.
It was the first public railway in the West Cumberland district authorised in 1837.
The Maryport and Carlisle Railway (M&CR) was incorporated in 1837 to connect the two towns of Carlisle and Maryport. George Stephenson was the engineer of the line, which opened fully on February 10, 1845.
It was opened from Maryport to Aspatria on July 15th, 1840 ; from Aspatria to Wigton on May 3rd, 1843, and from Wigton to Carlisle in May, 1844. The original terminus in Carlisle was in Crownstreet, but when the Lancaster and Carlisle and the Caledonian Railway built the Citadel Station, the Maryport and Carlisle extended its line thereto and became a tenant of the new joint station on February 10th, 1845. 
The Maryport and Carlisle ended at Maryport; southwards of that point, communication to Whitehaven was given by the Whitehaven Junction - sanctioned in 1844 which was opened to Workington on January 19th. 1846; and thence to Whitehaven, Bransty, on March 19th, 1847. 
In due course the total length of railway was 42.75 miles, consequent on the opening of a loop line via Baggrrow and a branch from Bullgill to Brigham, where the M&CR had running powers to Cockermouth, was opened on April 12, 1867. 
The 1912 statistics of the line included the following information:
Rolling stock: 28 locomotives, 56 coaching vehicles and 1667 goods vehicles of various kinds colours: locomotives - green; carriages - cream with green bodies; wagons - lead colour locomotive works were at Maryport.
1908 The line is 41.75 miles in length. 
1923 Became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway