Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,059 pages of information and 227,378 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of the Bonhay, Exeter
1856 Article: 'Ornamental Castings.— During last week, Messrs. Martin and Parkin, iron founders of the Bonhay, finished two ornamental cast-iron girders for a bridge in the lawn of General Studd, Oxton House, Mamhead. The length of the girders are 36 feet each, of an elegant pattern, and each weighs 2¼ tons. These castings have been much admired by many engineers and others and as they are the largest that have ever been attempted in this county, reflect great credit on our spirited and enterprising citizens.'
1859 'NOTICE. BONHAY FOUNDRY, EXETER, (adjoining the Cattle Market Inn.) FRANCIS PARKIN RESPECTFULLY informs his Friends and the Public generally, that the partnership hitherto subsisting between himself and John Martin, and known as the firm of "Messrs. Martin and Parkin, Ironfounders," was mutually DISSOLVED December 31st, 1858; and the Business will in future be carried on by FRANCIS PARKIN— Mr. Martin having RESIGNED in his (F. P.'s) favour.
F. P. tenders his sincere thanks to those kind Friends for the extensive patronage bestowed on the late Firm, and assures them that nothing shall be wanting on his part to merit a continuance of their favours.
N.B.-All debts due to the late Firm of "Martin and Parkin," will be collected in the usual way by Francis Parkin, who will also pay all demands the late firm. Dated Jan. 28th, 1859.'