Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,857 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
C. Markham and Co of Chesterfield.
The company had an interest in a number of quarries and collieries and the Staveley Coal and Iron Co.
Maker of stationary engines. 
1860 A Mr. Oliver founded the business on a small site in the centre of the town
1870 Oliver bought the land on which new works were built.
1890 An 0-4-0 locomotive was supplied to a logging railway in Tasmania. It was abandoned in the late 1940s, and recovered about 40 years later for restoration by the Tasmanian Transport Museum Soc Inc.
1890s Built an engine for Park Gate Iron and Steel Co.
1889/1899 Bought Oliver and Co.
1899-1914 Built nineteen locomotives (0-4-0ST) for all but one on a three metre gauge.
Built a number of steam engines to drive large generators, e.g. for Newport Power Station. A 1921 advert for the sale by John Rawding of surplus plant in Sheffield included: '1 300 K.W. GENERATING SET; Engines 18in. and 36in. x 42in. stroke, by Markham and Co., Ltd.; Generator 300 K.W, 230 volts, by British Thomson-Houston Co. Ltd., carried on engine shaft. Speed 95 r.p.m. Steam pressure 100 lb. per square inch. 1 500 K.W. GENERATING SET; Engines 26in. and 46in. x 42in. stroke by Markham and. Co.. Ltd.; Generator 500 K.W 230 volts, by the General Electric Co., Ltd., carried on engine shaft. Speed 95 r.p.m. Steam pressure 100 lb. per square inch. 1 CONDENSING SET for 300 and 500 K.W.'
1903 Two Horizontal Rotative Engines for The South Essex Water Board (Linford Station).
1904 Horizontal two cylinder 1000 HP winding engine for Frickley Main Colliery, Nr Barnsley. Photographed by George Watkins in 1954. 
1921 Installed engine at Park Gate Iron and Steel Co for the roughing mill.
1925 Private company.
Shortly before Mr. Markham's death, the Company was made over formally to the Staveley Coal and Iron Co., Ltd., which operated the business until 1937.
1926 Name changed.
1937 Structural engineers. 
1937 John Brown and Co acquired the very well equipped engineers Markham and Co to support its shipbuilding.
1961 Brass and iron founders (casting up to 40 tons) and mining, mechanical and structural engineers. 
1998 Production at Chesterfield was ended
An illustrated account of the history and products of the company is available in a recent book 'Markham and Company of Chesterfield'. The Appendices list brief details of individual machines made by Markham in the following categories: water turbines, tunnelling equipment; mine winding hoists (including many steam winding engines)