Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,775 pages of information and 230,103 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

1917 The Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment on the Isle of Grain was taken over from the Admiralty by the Air Board

1918 Transferred to the Ministry of Munitions

1920 Transferred to the Air Ministry.

It carried out research and development work on water-based aircraft for service needs and also on their equipment and on air-sea rescue apparatus.

1924 The one-time base and facilities of the Seaplane Experimental Station at Felixstowe were put to use by the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment

The Establishment's work grew during its early years and by 1930 it was carrying out acceptance tests and trials on marine aircraft and their associated equipment and armaments.

1939 The Establishment was moved to Helensburg in Scotland.

1940 The Ministry of Aircraft Production took control of MAEE. In addition to its earlier functions the Establishment became responsible for acceptance tests and trials of air-sea rescue apparatus and equipment and for aircraft armament research with bombs, depth charges and projectiles, including experiments and tests in water tanks. Being the sole official experimental establishment for marine aircraft in the country, particular emphasis was placed on research, especially into seaworthiness, stability and control on water, and water impact loads.

1945 The Establishment returned to Felixstowe and was later put under the control of the Ministry of Supply.

1953 Flying ceased at MAEE because of the decline in demand for flying boats. The Establishment was now responsible for testing and evaluating prototype marine craft and air-sea rescue apparatus and associated equipment to determine whether they complied with the development specifications and to advise when they could be handed over for Service trials.

1956 Merged with Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment and the work was moved to Boscombe Down. The model workshop remained on the Felixstowe site and came under the control of the Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • National Archives [1]