Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,261 pages of information and 218,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Wath-upon-Dearne, near Rotherham
Manvers Main Colliery was a coal mine, sunk on land belonging to the Earl Manvers and was situated on the northern edge of the township of Wath-upon-Dearne, between that town and Mexborough, in the Dearne Valley South Yorkshire. 
Manvers was, in fact, a complex of collieries, the original sinkings being known as "Old Manvers", the later sinkings as "New Manvers", and a coke and by-products plant.
1800s The first shaft was sunk.
1899 The company was registered on 21 February, to acquire the properties of a company of the same name. 
1900-1901 The second shaft was sunk, and later a third shaft was added.
1911 The Manvers Main Colliery Company were also responsible for the sinking of two shafts at Barnburgh, a village about two miles north east. The collieries were connected by a private railway.
1945 On 4 March the colliery suffered an accident which caused the death of 5 underground workers. The cause was an explosion of firedamp ignited by sparks from a damaged trailing cable.
Immediately prior to nationalization Manvers was owned by Manvers Main Collieries Ltd.
Within the complex was the Regional headquarters and laboratories of British Coal.
1981 The coke ovens and coal by-products plant was closed.
1988 The colliery complex closed on 25 March 1988.