Manchester Collieries, of Walkden
Late 1920s: Robert Burrows of Fletcher Burrows and Co proposed a merger of several independent companies operating to the west of Manchester.
1929 Coal mining company formed from a group of independent companies operating on the Manchester Coalfield:
- Fletcher Burrows and Co Ltd
- Andrew Knowles and Sons Ltd and its associated company Andrew Knowles Wharves Ltd
- Clifton and Kersley Coal Co and its associated companies Pilkington Colliery Co Ltd, Outwood Collieries Ltd, Collieries (Clifton and Kersley) Ltd
- John Speakman and Sons Ltd, owners of Bedford Colliery in Leigh,
- Bridgewater Estates Ltd
- Astley and Tyldesley Collieries Co Ltd.
1929 22 pits; 19,300 employees
1935-41 Acquired collieries in order to increase the company's coal quotas by 700,000 tons
By 1946 had increased use of steel arch supported underground railways to 74 miles (up from 20 miles in 1936). 94 percent of coal was carried by conveyors (up from 12 percent in 1930). Had doubled the amount of electricity used underground with reduction in use of compressed air. Plans made to invest in collieries to increase production by 1 million tons and reduce costs of production of 2.5 million tons.
1947 Collieries were nationalised
1950 Directors included Edward Fielden Pilkington, Dorothy Lawrence Pilkington, Denis Fielden Pilkington
Sources of Information
- The Times, Jan 25, 1929
- The Times, Dec 17, 1929
- The Times, Sep 24, 1947
- The Times, Mar 21, 1950
- Wikipedia