Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,419 pages of information and 211,648 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Malcolm Vincent Ambler (1876-1934)
1934 Obituary 
MALCOLM VINCENT AMBLER had been for nearly twenty years chief motor engineer to the Shell Marketing Company, which later became Messrs. Shell-Mex. In this capacity he was responsible for organizing the repair and maintenance of all their transport vehicles, including motor lorries, vans, and private cars. During Mr. Ambler's superintendency the number of vehicles grew from a comparatively small fleet to 2,250 at the end of 1931.
Mr. Ambler also opened a number of repair centres throughout the provinces and in Scotland and Ireland, and built the company's repair works and garage at Fulham, where at present about 400 workpeople are employed.
He was born in London in 1876 and educated at the Mercers' School, and in 1890 he entered the Doncaster works of the Great Northern Railway as a premium apprentice, serving in the shops and drawing office.
In 1898 he joined the Navy as an engine-room artificer, later becoming chief engine-room artificer.
From 1910 to 1911 he was attached to Messrs. H. Viney and Company, of Preston, as fleet engineer, after which he joined the London General Omnibus Company as a superintendent and during the following four years took charge of the garages at Palmer's Green, Willesden, Holloway, and Dalston.
In 1915 he took up his appointment with the Shell Marketing Company, which he held until his retirement in December 1931.
His death occurred on 16th September 1934.
He had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1920.
1934/35 Obituary 
Malcolm Vincent Ambler was born in 1876 and was educated at Bedford College.
In 1916 he was appointed Motor Engineer to Shell-Mex, Ltd., and this position he occupied until 1931.
He died on 16th September, 1934, at the age of 58.
He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1921.