Major and Field
Red Lion and Three Cranes Wharf, Upper Thames Street, London, E.C.
Wharfingers, Bonded Warehousekeepers and Licensed Lightermen
Established in 1853 by John Kearns, William Tuxford and Charles Messenger Major, as Kearns, Tuxford & Major. Hamilton Field joined later. On the retirement of John Kearns in 1867, the style was altered to Major & Field.
1914 Present Principals: Mark B. F. Major and Charles H. F. Major (sons of C. M. Major (d.)). Staff: Eighty to ninety, also casual labour. Business: All classes of Colonial and Foreign Merchandise landed, worked and warehoused or lightered, including Tea, Coffee, Cocoa, Rubber and Metals. Coffee Husking Mill, Ore Crushing and Sampling.