Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1851 The Magnetic Telegraph Co was formed.
1852 Charles Tilston Bright joined the Magnetic Telegraph Co; his brother, Edward Brailsford Bright, later became the manager. He laid many telegraph lines for this company: between and within London, Manchester, Liverpool, and other cities.
1852 The company changed its name to the English and Irish Magnetic Telegraph Co. This company had ten wires working between Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and London. It was granted a Royal Charter in April to provide links between England and Ireland by submarine telegraph.
1853 The British Telegraph Co was set up by the merger of the British Electric Telegraph Co and the European and American Electric Printing Telegraph Co. A cable was laid from Portpatrick to Donaghadee, in Ireland.
1854 A second cable was laid from Portpatrick to Whitehead.
1858 Chief office: 2 Exchange Buildings, Liverpool.
1870 The cables laid in 1853 and 1854, together with the company itself, were taken over by the GPO.