Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Madelvic Motor Company of West Shore Road, Granton, Edinburgh
Company owned by Edinburgh City astronomer William Peck
1898 Commenced building electric cars
1898-1900. Madelvic produced an 'electric brougham' at their factory in Granton, north of Edinburgh. The vehicle was driven by a three-wheeled front axle unit, comprising motor, batteries and a small central wheel, set behind the axle, which propelled the car. This unit was mounted to the front of a chassis, creating a five wheeled vehicle, but could also be attached to a horse drawn carriage. Peck offered public transport using the car, between Granton and Leith as publicity. A more conventional front wheel drive electric vehicle was also briefly produced.
1899 Madelvic Motor Company spent £33,000 on works at the Port of Granton.
Peck had developed a battery-electric carriage in the form of a traditional brougham but with a small central fifth wheel. Shafts were provided in case horse haulage had to be substituted.
Madelvic used the carriages to provide a public service between Granton and Leith
1900 Company went bankrupt and were taken over by Kingsburgh Motor Co