Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,764 pages of information and 210,006 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Lowrie-Hall system of distributing high voltage alternating currents was originally designated the "L.K.H." system after its 3 inventors - Lowrie, Kolle and Hall. It comprised generation and distribution of electricity from a central station, the latter being equipped with high-voltage separately-excited alternators, automatic voltage regulators, high-tension switchgear and fuses, and underground high-tension cables connected to small transformers on consumers' premises.
c.1883 The Lowrie-Hall system of electric lighting, using the Goulard-Gibbs transformer (otherwise spelled as Gaulard-Gibbs), was deployed by Hammond and Co (Electrical Engineers) for Eastbourne Electric Lighting Co; Mr William Lowrie was the chief engineer of Hammond and Co.
1887 William Lowrie - engineer - and Charles James Hall assigned to Robert Hammond - merchant in business as Hammond and Co - a one third share in their inventions and patents of electrical machinery for the U.K., British colonies and foreign countries, including electric "convertors"
1889 The House To House Electric Light Supply Co opened its central generating station in Kensington. The system was designed by the company's engineer, Mr William Lowrie, on the lines of his design for Eastbourne, with Mr Hall. The high voltage electricity was converted to low tension at each house by a Lowrie-Hall converter; the Lowrie-Hall regulator was used for controlling and metering the system and Lowrie-Hall converters for reducing the voltage at each customer's premises.