Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,161 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Also known as Dawson's Pottery
Worked from c.1794 to 1864. The Low Ford Pottery was acquired by John Dawson in the 1790s. The works had a watermill for grinding and preparation of flints and lead for use in glazing. It produced brownware, creamware and tiles. John Dawson died in 1848 aged 88, and the business failed without his leadership. The earthenware and tile producing plants were sold and eventually closed in the 1860s. The works reopened for a time as South Hylton Bottle Works, but were out of use by 1877. No visible trace of the works remains.