Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,981 pages of information and 229,144 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Works at Sutton and Ravenhead near St Helens
1846 The 'London and Manchester Plate Glass Company' was formed at the Sutton Oak site.
1876 Pilkington was producing as much glass as the Ravenhead works
Employed 1,500 at Sutton Oak and 1,200 at Ravenhead.
1892 Due to rise in cost of fuel and competition from other sources, the company reduced its workforce and cut wages
1894 Both the Sutton and the Ravenhead works were closed; the company was voluntarily liquidated
1895 The Ravenhead site was taken over by the British Plate Glass Co who restarted them. A committee of shareholders of the London and Manchester company decided that the Sutton works could be restarted and operated at a profit but would need to raise additional capital. The Sutton works was newer than Ravenhead.
1896 The company was in liquidation; the Sutton, St Helens site was advertised for sale
1905 Sutton Oak site taken over by Pilkington