Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,438 pages of information and 227,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 21 Lombard Street, London.
1836 Company established in Southwark as Surrey, Kent and Sussex Banking Co. Branches were almost immediately opened at Brighton, Canterbury, Croydon, Lewes, Maidstone, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells and Woolwich.
1837 The head office was moved to 71 Lombard Street, City of London
1839 the bank was renamed London and County Banking Co.
1839 Acquired Jeffreys and Co of Chatham
1841 Acquired Hopkins and Drewett of Arundel
1841 Acquired Hector, Lacy and Co of Petersfield, Ridge and Co of Chichester, Halford, Baldock and Co of Canterbury, and Emmerson, Hodgson and Emmerson of Sandwich.
1842 Acquired Davenport, Walker and Co (est. 1838) of Oxford
1843 Acquired Wilmshurst and Co of Cranbrook
1844 Acquired T. and T. S. Chapman of Aylesbury
1845 Acquired John Stoveld and Co of Petworth. By 1845 the bank had over 40 branches.
1849 Acquired Trapp, Halfhead and Co of Bedford
1852 Acquired Berkshire Union Banking Co of Newbury
1855 Acquired Eddy and Squire of Berkhampsted
1859 Acquired the business of the Western Bank of London
1860 Acquired the business of Robert Davies and Co of Shoreditch, London, which failed in 1860
1866 Took Limited liability status
1870 Acquired Nunn and Co of Manningtree
By 1875 the bank had 150 branches, more than any other British bank.
1888 Acquired Vallance and Payne (est. 1800) of Sittingbourne
1891 Acquired Hove Banking Co Ltd.
1907 Acquired Frederick Burt and Co Ltd of London, foreign bankers.