Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1692 The Company for Smelting Down Lead with Pitcoal received a Royal Charter to acquire the lead-smelting works of Talbot Clerke near Bristol.
1695 The company returned the works to Clerke.
1704 The charter of the defunct Company for Smelting Down Lead with Pitcoal was acquired by Estourt's Copper company, which had many Quaker members. They transferred their business to The Company.
1705 Took over the Ryton Company, which had reverberatory furnaces at Ryton on Tyne and lead mines on Alston Moor.
1753 Started operations on Teedale, taking a lease on a mine at Newbiggin. The business gradually expanded.
1815 the company moved its headquarters to Middleton-in-Teesdale where it built Middleton House.
1905 Company wound up