London City and Midland Bank
of 52 Cornhill, London
1898 London and Midland Bank acquired City Bank Ltd to consolidate its presence in the capital. It became one of the four largest banks in the UK and the headquarters were moved to Threadneedle Street.
1898 Name changed to London City and Midland Bank
1898 Absorbed Oldham Joint Stock Bank
1899 London City and Midland Bank absorbed City of Birmingham Bank
1900 London City and Midland Bank absorbed Leicestershire Banking Co
1905 Absorbed Nottingham Joint Stock Bank
1908 Absorbed North and South Wales Bank.
1910 Absorbed Bradford Banking Co.
1913 Absorbed Sheffield and Hallamshire Bank.
1914 Absorbed the Metropolitan Bank (of England and Wales)
1918 London City and Midland Bank amalgamated with London Joint Stock Bank
1918 Name changed to London Joint City and Midland Bank
1923 Name changed to Midland Bank
Sources of Information
-  Midland Bank documents