Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,810 pages of information and 210,387 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 94 Gracechurch Street, London
Lead producers and merchants.
1790 John Locke set up in business as lead merchant.
1793 The firm of W. W. and R. Johnson, lead merchants, was formed.
c.1818 William James Lancaster (1802-66) joined Locke's business
1854 the name was changed to Locke, Lancaster and Co
1892 W. W. and R. Johnson and Sons was registered on 18 January, to acquire the business of white-lead makers, lead rollers and metal merchants of the firm of the same name.
1912 Exhibited "the old Dutch process for making white lead" at the Non-Ferrous Metals Exhibition at the Royal Agricultural Halls.
1914 Lead smelters. Specialities: pig lead, white lead and litharge, sheet and pipe lead, tea lead, zinc plates, zinc rods, oxide of zinc paint. 
1924 Merger of Locke, Lancaster and W. W. and R. Johnson and Sons Ltd, the white lead, red lead and litharge works of Rowe Brothers and Co Ltd of Exeter, and the lead, antimony and other manufacturing interests of Cookson and Co; shareholders would receive, in exchange for their shares, shares in Associated Lead Manufacturers Ltd. The 3 companies were all private companies; they would continue as separate entities with their existing management .