Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,446 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Lochside Distillery was a distillery in Montrose, Angus that produced single malt scotch whisky and grain whisky. The distillery was owned by Macnab Distilleries and latterly, by Allied Distillers, a subsidiary of the the former British drinks and restaurant group Allied Domecq
1781 The distillery started life as a brewery and the actual buildings were built in 1781.
James Deuchar and Sons a Newcastle upon Tyne based brewery (which would go on to form Scottish & Newcastle) owned the building during the 19th Century.
The brewery was closed by Scottish & Newcastle before being quickly purchased in 1957 by Macnab Distilleries of which Joseph W. Hobbs, the proprietor of the Ben Nevis Distillery in Fort William, was a shareholder.
The brewery was converted to a distillery and followed the Ben Nevis Distillery in producing both malt and grain whisky. The blended whisky brand Sandy Macnab, was created around this time.
Macnab Distilleries was purchased by Spanish whisky manufacturer Destilerías y Crianza del Whisky S.A. (popularly known as DYC) in 1973. They were in turn purchased by British drinks company Allied Distillers to form Allied Domecq, who were purchased by Pernod Ricard in 2005.
The distillery was closed during 1992 and the site earmarked for redevelopment.
The distillery was finally demolished during 2004-2005 and the site has been turned into housing