1840 the Liverpool Guardian Society for the Protection of Trade launched a campaign to lower gas prices as these were deemed to be excessive.
1848 The movement eventually led to the amalgamation by Act of Parliament of the Liverpool Gas Light Co and the Liverpool New Gas and Coke Co to form the Liverpool United Gas Co. Areas of supply included Liverpool city and Toxteth Park, West Derby, Everton, Kirkdale, Walton-on-the-Hill, Bootle, Linacre, Litherland, Great Crosby, Wavertree, Allerton and Garston. Alfred King was appointed engineer.
1867 William King (1839-1916) succeeded his father as engineer of the company
1876 the Liverpool Gas Fitting Co was created to deal with supply, fitting and meter fixing.
The Liverpool United Gas Company's area of supply was repeatedly extended after that.
1914 the Company's name was changed to the Liverpool Gas Co and its area of supply was further extended.
By 1935 the Company had absorbed: Chidwall Gas Company (1914), Fazakerley (a Liverpool Corporation, 1915), Hightown Gas Company (1925), Woolton Gas Company (1926), Huyton and Roby Gas Company (1933), Formby Gas Company (1935).
1949 On Nationalisation the Liverpool Gas Company was vested in the North Western Gas Board.
The Linacre Gas Works were the largest gas works belonging to the company