Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,145 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
In 1897, Liverpool Corporation bought the Liverpool United Tramway and Omnibus Co and obtained an act of parliament, The Liverpool Tramway Transfer Act 1897.
A modernisation scheme followed immediately with electrification of services taking around 5 years.
The first electric service left Dingle on 16 November 1898.
By 1901, the 101 million passengers were carried by the electric cars.
The last tram, No 6A, ran from Liverpool's Pier Head to Bowring Park on September 14, 1957.
The car was bought by the Seashore Trolley Museum of Kennebunkport, Maine, U.S.A and shipped via Boston, Massachusetts in 1958. As of 2006, it is at the back of a shed at the Museum, and in poor condition.
Liverpool 869 seen at the National Tramway Museum.
Horse car 43 is a static exhibit at the Wirral Transport Museum in Birkenhead.
Car 293 survives in Kennebunkport, Maine, United States of America.
Car 245 was restored to operational condition in 2014, by members of the Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society at the Wirral Transport Museum in Birkenhead, and is operational at the Wirral Tramway.
Car 762 is operational at the Wirral Tramway.
Car 869 (known as a "Streamliner" or "Liner" in original Liverpool service, and "Green Goddess" in later Glasgow service) is part of the operational fleet at the National Tramway Museum at Crich in Derbyshire.