Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,199 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lines Bros. Ltd was a British toy manufacturer, operating principally under the Tri-ang brand name. At its peak, the company claimed to be the largest toy maker in the world. They also made rocking horses for almost a century.
of Ormside Street, Old Kent Road, London, SE15. Telegrams: Triangtois, Phone, London. Telephone: 1640 New Cross, (3 Lines). Showroom at 9 Fore Street, London, EC2. Telephone: 337 Wall. (1922)
of Tri-Ang Works, Morden Road, Merton, London, SW19. Telephone: Wimbledon 3067. Cables: "Triangtois, London". (1929)
Ditto Address. Telephone: Liberty 4242. Cables: "Triangois, Phone, London". (1947 - Lines Brothers). Telephone: Liberty 1046. Cables: "Pesotoy, Phone, London". (1947 - Pedigree Soft Toys)
Showrooms at Fore Street, London, EC2. Birmingham branch at The Unique and Unity Cycle Co, St Stephen's Street. Telephone: Wimbledon 3069. Cables: "Triangtois, London" (1947)
c1876 The brothers George and Joseph Lines began to make wooden toys, their company being G. and J. Lines. Joseph was the active partner while George went into farming. Joseph (or Joe) had four sons.
1897 Walter Lines, Joseph's son, joined the company which had one factory - this was making horses for various purposes, including rocking horses, horses for roundabouts and full size horses for use by tailors, as well as wooden toys, baby carriages, and folders.
Post-WWI the business had to be started afresh.
1919 William J. Lines, Walter Lines and Arthur Edwin Lines, 3 of Joseph's sons, formed Lines Bros Ltd. On the basis that 3 Lines make a triangle, they adopted the brand name Tri-ang. They obtained an old factory on the Old Kent Road and a timber wharf on the Surrey Canal full of wood-working machinery. They sold off a lot of old equipment and re-equipped the factory. Soon after they added a second factory in the Old Kent Road.
1919 Private company incorporated, limited by shares
1922 Lines Brothers Advert (double page) for: 27 different Model Doll's Houses and Period Furniture to match; The Latest Rage - Hopping Poles; Sportiboy Rocking and Push Horses; The Kiddies want Cars and Sidecars like Daddy's; Scooters from Cheapest to Best; The Ford of the Toy Auto World Chain Drive; Largest Output in the World of Doll's Carriages. "Triangtois" - The Worlds Best Toys. (Stand No. F.39) 
Needing more space they acquired a 47 acre site in Merton, built a new factory on it and moved all of the production there.
1929 Lines Brothers Advert for Pedigree Prams, Tri-Ang Toys and Cycles. Also Fairtcycle (Registered Trade Mark), Motor Cars, Pedal Kars, Forlding Baby Carriages, Engines, Barrows, Scooters, Dolls Prams, Dolls Houses, Desks, Juvenile Furniture, Swings, etc. (Toys, Games and Baby Carriages Section - Stand No E.27) 
Acquired Unique and Unity Cycle Co in Birmingham and built a new factory for it.
1931 Acquired Hamley Brothers shop in London
Arthur's son, Richard Lines, was largely responsible for the Tri-ang Railways system.
1933 Developed a new business in clockwork mechanical toys. Acquired a considerable interest in International Model Aircraft Ltd. Public issue of preference shares
1937 As International Model Aircraft Ltd. Manufacturers of model aeroplanes. "Frog" Model Aircraft. 
Sold some land at Merton to a maker of safety glass.
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
At the start of the Second World War, production of children's toys was deemed non-essential by the British Government. As a result, production facilities were converted to weapons manufacture, specifically the Sten Mk III submachine gun. Also made gliders and the first rocket propelled aeroplanes (with 20 ft wing span), infra-red night vision apparatus, and scale models of the Normandy beaches in preparation for D-Day.
Post-WWII: re-established the peacetime business. Re-acquired the land at Merton sold to the glass company.
1946 Bought W. Pearce (Bentwood) Ltd of Lavant as a way of ensuring timber supplies; later extended the factory.
1947 British Industries Fair
Needing extra space, they took over an existing factory at Cyfarthfa in South Wales and a new factory outside Belfast as well as establishing businesses in the main ex-Colonial countries and in Europe.
1951 Acquired Rovex Scale Models Ltd. for their methods of producing electric scale-model railways, including Rovex's factory at Richmond.
1952 Two adverts on this page for Pedigree "Prams fit for a Princess": 1) The Prestige; 2) The Vogue. 
1955 Image on this page.
1959 AGM told about changes in subsidiaries:
In all the group had 21 factories.
1962 The Trionics Ltd factory at Havant produced electronic construction sets
At their peak they had 40 companies world-wide, but as a result of losses overseas they were in financial trouble.
1964 Lines Brothers took over Dinky Toys from Meccano. Lines Brothers had its own railway system, Tri-ang Railways. Meccano, which manufactured the Hornby Dublo range, collapsed. Tri-ang purchased the company, and the combined model railway was marketed as Tri-ang-Hornby although the vast majority of the models were all Tri-ang. The Hornby name being more established and recognised, despite the company's failure) the Tri-ang part was dropped and it was sold as Hornby Railways.
1966 Acquired a majority of the shares in G. and R. Wrenn
1971 Lines Brothers called in the Official Receiver. The Group was broken up and sold off. Rovex Tri-ang (which had the Hornby Railways among its portfolio) was Pocket Money Toys and then sold as Rovex, complete with its factories at Margate and Canterbury, to Dunbee Combex Marx (DCM). The name Tri-ang was sold off.
1972 G. and R. Wrenn, a linked toy railway company, bought itself free as Wrenn Railways.
1972 As a result, the Tri-ang Hornby system took the name Hornby Railways from January.