Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,772 pages of information and 210,006 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Derby. Telephone: Derby 1920 (5 lines). Telegraphic Address: "Leys, Derby". (1937)
of Derby and North Hykeham, Lincoln
1874 At the age of 28, Francis Ley decided he needed to be independent and start his own business which was to become the Leys Malleable Casting Company. He established his malleable castings foundry on Colombo St, next to the old Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway main line.
1878 The firm infringed the patent of an American company making drive chain belts but Ley was soon the recipient of the rights to manufacture Ewarts chain belts under licence
1880 Due to ongoing success, demolished the original works and rebuilt it on a larger scale.
1880 Established Chain-Belt Engineering Co
1897 Incorporated as a private limited company.
The company became the largest iron malleable iron foundry in Europe.
Ley cemented relationships with Rolls-Royce to supply chain belts to the motor car industry.
1905 Francis Ley was awarded a Baronetcy.
1914 Specialities: Ley's homogeneous "Black Heart" malleable castings and chain belts of various types. Employees 1,500. 
By 1935 Ewart Chainbelt Co was an associated company
1937 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Ley's celebrated "Black Heart" Malleable Castings, Black and Machined, for various branches of Engineering, the War Office and other Government Departments. Ewart's Chain Belts made of Ley's Metal, and Wheels and Buckets for Elevators an Conveyors. (Stand Nos. D.603 and D.502) 
1940s Also see Northern Malleable Foundry Co who also made Black Heart Malleable Iron in Derby
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Malleable iron. 
1968 Extensive expansion and modernisation scheme. 
1980s Sometime in the 1980s Leys was taken over by Williams Holdings.
1986 The site was closed down, gradually demolished and factory units built on the site.