Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,162 pages of information and 233,682 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Lewis Pritchard Moline

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Lewis Pritchard Moline (1832-1904)

1832 April 18th. Born at Godalming the son of Robert Moline, a Bank Manager.


1906 Obituary [1]

LEWIS PRITCHARD MOLINE died at South Yarra, Melbourne, on the 12th January, 1904, in his seventy-third year.

Descended from an old Huguenot family, he was born at Godalming, Surrey, and educated at the City of London School.

After serving his apprenticeship at the Greenwich Ironworks, he obtained employment with Messrs. Penn, of Greenwich, and subsequently pursued a course of study at University College, London.

In 1854 he left this country for Australia, and in the following year, obtained an appointment in the Victorian Railway Department, being employed on the construction of various lines until 1865, when he was transferred to the Water-supply Department. As District Engineer he was engaged for several years on the construction of reservoirs and aqueducts in connection with the supply of water to Bendigo, Castlemaine and other mining districts.

In 1870, being again placed in the Railway Department, he was given charge of the construction of a section of the Melbourne and Sydney main line; after completing which, he left the Government service to engage in practice as a consulting engineer for railway and water-supply work.

In 1889 he rejoined the Water-Supply Department, and superintended the construction of the Loddon River Reservoir.

After his retirement he undertook a sea-voyage to benefit his failing health, and visited England, but died shortly after his return to Victoria.

Throughout his career, the energy with which he applied himself to the discharge of his professional duties was coupled with unvarying geniality and courtesy in his dealings with colleagues and subordinates.

He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 21st May, 1889, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 8th December, 1891.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information