Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,439 pages of information and 211,690 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lewis Crow (c1875-1942)
1943 Obituary 
LEWIS CROW was well known for many years in the Bristol Channel district as a consulting marine engineer and ship surveyor. He received his technical education in the mechanical engineering department of Finsbury Technical College from 1892 to 1895 and after serving a two years' apprenticeship with Messrs. Bow, McLachlan and Company, Paisley, where latterly he was in charge of the oil-engine testing department, he joined Messrs. J. and P. Coats, Ltd., as a draughtsman and assistant plant engineer and held this position until 1902 when he took up a similar post with Messrs. Easton and Company, Erith, for whom he was employed on the design and erection of machinery for the Admiralty and of large gas plants and engines.
In 1904 he entered the office of Mr. H. M. Rogers, consulting marine engineer, and was appointed superintendent on the Bristol Channel for the ships of Messrs. Harris and Dixon, Ltd., and other companies. Subsequently he began to practise on his own account at Cardiff and acted as representative in South Wales for several North East Coast marine engine builders, his services as surveyor being also retained by various Continental shipowners.
During the war of 1914-18 he was appointed marine surveyor for American Army Transports and was engaged by the Ministry of Shipping on similar duties. After the war he was in partnership with a surveyor, Mr. T. W. Barnett.
Mr. Crow was elected a Graduate of the Institution in 1896 and was transferred to Associate Membership in 1901, and to Membership in 1911. He was also a Member of the Institution of Naval Architects and a founder member and Fellow of the Society of Consulting Marine Engineers and Ship Surveyors. On his retirement in 1928 he lived in Bournemouth, and later at Newbury, Berks, where his death occurred on 27th March 1942, in his sixty-seventh year.