Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,279 pages of information and 230,174 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Lewes and Uckfield Railway Company was incorporated and secured on 27 July 1856 by the passing of an Act to construct a line covering the 7.5 miles to Uckfield from a point 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north of Lewes, to be known as Uckfield Junction, on the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Brighton to Hastings line.
The LBSCR supported the company's proposals, and a connection linking Lewes to Uckfield was opened on 11 October 1858 to goods, with passengers one week later. The line, much of it through low-lying meadows, required only three minor cuttings and a number of bridges, including one over the Ouse Navigation.
The LBSCR absorbed the Lewes and Uckfield Railway Company in 1864.
The above information is taken from the Wikipedia entry for the Wealden Line.