Leopold William Heath
Leopold William Heath (1872-1903)
1903 Obituary 
LEOPOLD WILLIAM HEATH was born in London, December 23rd, 1872.
Educated at the Central Foundation School, Cowper Street, he entered, in October, 1889, as a day student at the City and Guilds' Technical College, Finsbury, in the Department of Electrical Engineering, and after two years of earnest study he was awarded the College Certificate. He was at once offered a Senior Studentship in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, under Professor John Perry, whom he assisted in several investigations, including one on the application of Spherical Harmonics to the distribution of magnetic field around a solenoid.
In July, 1892, on the completion of this additional year of studies, he entered the service of the Galway Electric Lighting Company, and in April, 1894, joined the engineering staff of the Blackpool Corporation Electric Tramways.
A year later he entered the service of Messrs. Veritys at their Manchester branch, and in 1898 was appointed by the same firm to be manager of one of the departments of their factory at Birmingham.
In 1900 he returned to the service of the Galway Electric Co. as their manager, but after a few months he exchanged this post for an appointment as designing engineer under the British Thomson-Houston Co., an appointment which brought him back to London.
He was in 1901 also appointed to be lecturer in Applied Mathematics at the Northampton Institute in Clerkenwell.
Early in the summer of 1902 he left England to study certain new developments in the works of the General Electric Co. at Schenectady, N.Y., and there on July 3rd, 1902, he met his death by electric shock through a defective switch in the laboratory. His untimely death cut short a very promising career. He had the capacity for great things; the patience of mind to watch for their development; and a sincerity and tenacity of purpose which gave assurance of success.
He was elected a Student on Feb. 11th, 1892; transferred to the class, of Associates on May 8th, 1894, and to the class of Associate Members on Feb. 9th, 1899.