Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,597 pages of information and 209,979 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Leeds and Thirsk Railway via Starbeck opened on 9 July 1848.
In 1845 Samuel Smiles left the Leeds Times and became secretary to the Leeds and Thirsk Railway.
In 1852 as the Leeds Northern Railway the extension to Northallerton and Stockton opened.
The line then became part of the North Eastern Railway in the 1854 amalgamation
The viaduct over the river Wharfe was the work of the Leeds and Thirsk Railway Company.