Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,441 pages of information and 233,877 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Lea Green Colliery

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Lea Green Colliery in Lowfield Lane, St.Helens produced coal between c1875-1964

It was close to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway and linked to the nearby Sutton Heath Colliery.

The first shafts at Lea Green Colliery were sunk by James Radley in the early 1870s. Radley also owned Nutgrove and Croppers Hill collieries as well as the Sutton Heath Colliery on the corner of Eltonhead Road and Sutton Heath Road.

1881 Radley took a ten year lease on Sherdley Hall and died there on March 28th 1885 at the age of 75. James Radley's widow, Fanny Prescott Radley, briefly owned the colliery before selling it onto the newly-created Sutton Heath and Lea Green Collieries Co. Ltd. This was registered on June 28th 1890 with a capital of £100,000.

William Moore Campbell was appointed managing director with an initial salary of £500 per annum, plus 5% of net profits.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • An Illustrated History of Old Sutton in St. Helens Part 25 (of 77) - History of Lea Green Colliery (1870s - 1964) by Stephen Wainwright