Laurence Alban Jones
Laurence Alban Jones (1874-1949)
1950 Obituary 
"LAWRENCE ALBAN JONES was the principal of Messrs. T. Bernard Hall and Jones, Colmore Row, Birmingham, consulting engineers, and had been associated with that firm for nearly sixty years, including his pupilage, which he began to serve under the late Mr. T. Bernard Hall in 1891.
He was born in 1874 and received his general education at the Oratory Grammar School, Edgbaston. His technical training was obtained at the Midland Institute, the City Technical School, and Mason College, Birmingham. In addition he attended technical classes sponsored by the Staffordshire County Council, gaining first-class honours in mechanical engineering, metallurgy, and other subjects. On the completion of his articles he became principal assistant to Mr. Hall, with whom he continued until 1898 when he went to London to act as chief assistant to Mr. William Gilbert, Westminster, consulting engineer, where amongst other works he designed a floating dock for the Egyptian Government.
In 1901, however, he returned to Birmingham to resume his association with Mr. Hall and in the following year he was admitted to partnership, becoming sole proprietor of the business in 1913. His activities included inspection of railway plant and the installation of central heating for hospitals and other public bodies. In addition he acted as assessor for fire losses and as valuer for engineering works. Mr. Jones was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1902 and transferred to Membership in 1920. His death occurred on 20th October 1949."