Laurence, Scott and Co
Laurence, Scott and Co of Gothic Works, Norwich were makers of dynamos.
formerly Paris and Scott.
1888 Reginald Edward Laurence joined the company which became Laurence, Paris and Scott Ltd (see advert)
1892 Crystal Palace Electrical Exhibition. 'Norwich' dynamo and 'Stockport' engine. 
1894 Patent of W. H. Scott for steam engine improvements.
1895 Moved to new premises at the Gothic Works.
1900 Article and illustrations on their new works in 'The Engineer'. 
1920 September. Exhibited at the Machine Tool and Engineering Exhibition at Olympia with motors for machine tool driving. 
The company specialised in products for use on ships, particularly direct-current machinery, electric motors and generators, claiming to have more of this machinery afloat than any other firm in the world.
"The company expanded rapidly through the early 20th century and was manufacturing defence equipment prior to the First World War. Searchlight assemblies and mechanical computers are just some of the many items designed and built for the Navy, Army and fledgling Air Force.
In the 1930s, working with the UK Admiralty Research Establishment, the company became heavily involved in the supply of electro-mechanical computers for both surface ship large gun fire control and submarine torpedo fire control systems.
With the advent of digital control technologies in the 1970s, the company migrated to the design and supply of sophisticated above water and underwater weapons and sensor platforms, the core technologies employed by the company today."
Sources of Information
- Steam Engine Builders of Norfolk by Ronald H. Clark. Published 1948 by The Augustine Steward Press