Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,357 pages of information and 219,137 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lambton Hetton Joicey Collieries, of County Durham
1886 James Joicey and Co was formed into a limited company.
The business was continued by Sir James Joicey, Major William J. Joicey, Joseph Thompson and John Thompson.
1911 the Lambton company acquired the pits of the Hetton Coal Co and the title of the firm was changed to the Lambton and Hetton Collieries.
1913 the Sherburn and Littletown collieries were sold to B. Samuelson and Co, who then were absorbed in the firm of Dorman, Long and Co
1914 bought the North Hetton Colliery
1920 acquired the Silksworth Colliery,
1924 James Joicey and Co was wound up voluntarily and the collieries transferred to the Lambton Company whose title was changed to the Lambton Hetton Joicey Collieries. The company owned 20 pits which formed one of the largest colliery combines in Great Britain, with an aggregate annual output of 5,000,000 tons, as well as by-product coke works, brick works, gas works, engine works and private railways serving their own staiths on the River Wear.
1927 See Aberconway Chapter X for information on the company and its history
1947 Became part of National Coal Board