Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,753 pages of information and 199,764 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 25 Cecil Court, Charing Cross Road, London
later became Gaumont-British Picture Corporation
Leon Gaumont (10 May 1864 – 9 August 1946) was a French inventor, engineer, and industrialist who was a pioneer of the motion picture industry. In 1895, in partnership with the engineer Gustave Eiffel, the astronomer Joseph Vallot and the financier Alfred Besnier, he formed a company L. Gaumont et Cie. Initially he sold camera equipment and film. In 1897 he started a business producing motion pictures under the direction of his secretary, Alice Guy. In 1906, the Etablissements Gaumont was founded as a limited company. It flourished until 1914.
1897 John Le Coutour became the British agent for L. Gaumont et Cie handling Gaumont films and Demeny film equipment. Le Coutour was more interested in experimenting with paper films; he founded the Photographic Association; because of this difference in interest, he was dismissed by Gaumont.
1898 Alfred Bromhead, who had been the assistant of Le Coutour, was asked to take over; together with Leon Gaumont he formed the Company; his younger brother Reginald was also involved; the offices were at 25 Cecil Court.
The company quickly became a success and expanded into handling films for Hepworth, Elge (France) and Lumiere (France).
1903 Herbert Bromhead joined the company.
1912 A. C. Bromhead wanted to move into production so built a studio called Lime Grove in Shepherd's Bush.
1915 Acquired additional property adjacent to the studio and expanded the facilities with more feature film activity.
After the war, the studio struggled to regroup due to a lack of actors and technicians.
1922 the Bromhead brothers bought out Gaumont's interest in the company.
1928 Acquired General Theatre Corporation.
1928 Gaumont absorbed Gainsborough Pictures headed by Michael Balcon and formed a conglomerate which also included nearly 300 cinemas.
1929 A. C. Bromhead retired. The 5 Ostrer brothers took on control of the studios.
With the advent of talking films, the Ostrer brothers set out to renovate the Lime Grove studio with sound systems. While the renovations were being made, Gainsborough Studios at Islington was used as the production arm.
1937 The Corporation had over 100 subsidiaries and associated companies and many cross-holdings with outside interests; moves were being made to rationalise these holdings.
1937 With the British market shrinking, Isadore Ostrer announced that Lime Grove would have to close. C. M. Woolf, one of the original directors of Gaumont-British, and J. Arthur Rank presented a package to take over the production of Lime Grove and move it to Pinewood and let Gainsborough continue its production.
1941 Isadore Ostrer resigned as chairman on the sale of the Ostrer holdings to General Film Distributors Ltd. M. Woolf, J. Arthur Rank and L. W. Farrow (directors of General Film) would join the board with Mr Rank as chairman.
1942 Presentation of consolidated accounts at AGM. Subsidiary companies included Cinema-Television Ltd (formerly Baird Television Ltd); associated companies included Bush Radio Ltd, General Theatre Corporation Ltd, British Acoustic Films Ltd.
1955 Odeon Theatres Limited was renamed Rank Organisation Ltd. One of the main elements of the group was Gaumont-British Picture Corporation Ltd, with its wholly-owned subsidiaries Cinema-Television Ltd, which owned Bush Radio, and British Optical and Precision Engineers Ltd.