Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,971 pages of information and 229,026 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1821 The Kingston-upon-Hull Gas Light Company was formed as an oil-gas company. An Act of Parliament was obtained. The authorised area of supply was the 'old town' of Hull and the townships of Myton and Sculcoates.
By 1828, the oil gas process had proved uneconomic and John Malam was invited to convert the works from oil to coal and to operate it under a lease.
1842 After Malam gave up the lease, the company took over direct management of the undertaking.
1898 the undertaking was sold to the Hull Corporation.
A bulk supply of gas was negotiated and the works closed (the works site was wanted for a new town hall).
1902 The British Gas Light Co purchased the Cottingham Gas Company
1934 The British Gas Light Co purchased the gas undertaking from the Hull Corporation.
A third gas company, the East Hull Gas Co (formerly the Sutton, Southcoates and Drypool Gas Co) operated alongside the British Gas Light Co.
1949 the British Gas Light Co, Hull vested in the Eastern Gas Board (as the majority of British Gas Light's undertakings were located in the area).
1951 Transferred to North Eastern Gas Board.