Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,971 pages of information and 229,026 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The King George VI Bridge is a bridge over the River Dee in Aberdeen, Scotland.
The foundation stone of the bridge was laid by the Lord Provost Edward W. Watt on 15 September 1938. It was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth in the presence of King George VI on 10 March 1941. Today the bridge carries the Great Southern Road (B9077) into Aberdeen from the south.
March 1941 "A New Dee Bridge at Aberdeen - During a visit to Aberdeen on Monday, March 10th by their Majesties the King and Queen, the Queen opened the new bridge across the River Dee at Aberdeen, which she named the King George VI Bridge. The new bridge will serve as a link on the main road from the city to the south, and supersedes the 400-year old bridge. It consists of three elliptical arches, the outer span being 100ft., and the centre span 120ft., with two flood water arches under the south bridge road. It has a width of 75ft, and has two footways and two carriageways. The bridge is built in reinforced concrete, with a facing of granite, which adds an appropriate touch of local harmony. The cost of the bride was £150,000. It was constructed to the designs and specification of the city engineer, Mr T. F. Henderson, M. Inst. CE., and Mr. F. C. Mears, of Edinburgh, the consulting architect. The contractor was Mr. W. J. Anderson.