John G. Kincaid and Co
Maker of marine engines, of 18 East Hamilton Street, Greenock, NB
1868 Company established by John G. Kincaid
1889 See 1889 Shipbuilding Statistics for detail of the marine engines produced.
1906 Private company.
1914 Engineers, Boilermakers, Smiths and Founders. Specialities: Marine machinery and Boilers of every description for Paddle and Screw Steamers, Light Draught Steamers for Foreign River Navigation, Feedwater Filters, Grease Extractors and Evaporators. Employees 400 to 500. 
1922 Harland and Wolff, who held the sole licence for Britain and the Colonies for the construction of Diesel engines on the Burmeister and Wain system, granted John G. Kincaid and Co a sub-licence for the construction of this type of internal combustion engine. Soon after, John G. Kincaid and Co entered into a further arrangement for an extension of the licence to enable them also to construct this type of machinery for export to Spain, France and the French colonies.
1924 James Scott Kincaid succeeded his father as chairman of the company.
1937 Company made public.
1961 Marine engineers and boiler makers, manufacturing marine diesel engines. 1,700 employees. 
In 1978 the company merged with Clark-Hawthorn of Tyneside to form Clark Kincaid, and sold for a nominal amount, 3 pounds, by British Shipbuilders in a management buyout to HLD Holdings who subsequently sold it to Kvaerner Industrier of Norway in 1990, becoming Kvaerner Kincaid.
Kvaerner Kincaid became a diesel engine components manufacturer and was subsequently sold to Sweden's Scandiaverken AB in 1999 for several hundred thousand pounds to cease manufacturing and become a marine engine components distribution centre.
Sources of Information
- Scottish Archive Network