Kelvedon Gas Light and Coke Co
Gasworks were supplied and erected in Station Road, Kelvedon by George Bower of St. Neots.
1859 Kelvedon "consists of a street, lighted with gas, about a mile in length, standing partly on rising ground, on the north-western bank of the river Blackwater". Joseph Eley was then the Secretary of the Gas Company.
1878 the company was trading as the Kelvedon Gas Light & Coke Company Ltd.
By 1914 a bulk gas supply was being given to the Coggeshall gasworks and the business traded as the 'Kelvedon and Coggeshall Gas Company' although then owned by Worthington Church.
1926 Three GH were shown at the works on the 1925 OS map.
1937 Church was still proprietor.
1949 Vested in Eastern Gas Board.
1950 Gas making ceased when a bulk supply was received from Colchester
See Also
Sources of Information
- The Manufactured Gas Industry in England: Volume 3 Gazetteer. Historic England
