Joseph Ernest Fletcher (1867-1939), engineer and works manager to N. Hingley and Sons
1939 Obituary 
JOSEPH ERNST FLETCHER, who died on 30th November 1939, took a great interest in the Midland Branch of the Institution. He was elected a Graduate in 1892, was transferred to Associate Membership in 1894, and to Membership in 1906. In 1925 he contributed to the PROCEEDINGS a paper entitled "Some Applications of Research to Modern Foundry Practice", and in the following year the Council awarded him a T. Bernard Hall prize for this paper.
Born in 1867 at Chesterfield, he was educated at Sheffield. He served his apprenticeship in the shops and drawing office of the Savile Street Foundry and Engineering Co, Sheffield, from 1881 to 1887, and in the latter year he studied for some time at the Normal Science School, South Kensington.
In 1888 he was employed by Messrs. Thomas Firth and Sons, Ltd., Sheffield, as a draughtsman. Subsequently he was promoted to be assistant engineer and later manager of this company's steel works. During part of his association with this firm he gave lectures on engineering subjects at the Central Science School, Sheffield.
In 1894 he joined the staff of Messrs. Charles Cammell and Company, Ltd., Sheffield, as assistant manager in their steel works, and in 1901 he was promoted to be manager. He was appointed engineer and works manager to Messrs. N. Hingley and Sons, Ltd., Netherton, in 1906, and later he acted as consulting metallurgical engineer to the company. He was an original member of the Council of the British Cast Iron Research Association, and in 1924 he became consultant to the Association, particularly on melting practice. As the result of experimental work he designed, and patented jointly with this Association, a cupola furnace known as the balanced blast cupola. He travelled widely in the United States and on the Continent in connexion with his business and scientific interests, and he was an active member of numerous scientific bodies.
1939 Obituary 
After seven years of illness Mr. Joseph Ernest Fletcher died at his home in Dudley, Worcestershire, on November 30, 1939.
Mr. Fletcher had been for many years a consultant metallurgical engineer and had contributed largely to the development of this branch of industry.
Mr. Fletcher was born at Chesterfield, Derbyshire, and educated at the Central School, Sheffield. After serving as apprentice with the Clay Cross Co., Ltd., he studied fora year at the Normal Science School, South Kensington, and then went as draughtsman, later as assistant engineer, to Messrs. Thomas Firth & Sons, Ltd., Sheffield.
In 1904 he joined the staff of Messrs. Cammell Laird & Co. as assistant works manager and in 1906 was appointed chief engineer to Messrs. N. Hingley and Sons. He held this position for many years, eventually becoming consultant metallurgical engineer to the firm.
Mr. Fletcher was a recognized authority on iron and steel founding, casting, furnace design, and allied subjects.
He was an original member of the British Cast Iron Research Association and was appointed its consultant on melting practice in 1924. Conjointly with the Association he patented the balanced blast cupola furnace which proved an outstanding success. He was an active member of many engineering societies, and was elected a member of the Institute of Metals in 1917.