Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,581 pages of information and 213,686 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John and E. Sturge, chemical manufacturers, of Birmingham
1831 John Sturge leased land on Wheeleys Road (opposite land he already owned), for manufacturing citrates, tartrates, bicarbonate of potash and precipitated chalk. He was joined by his brother Edmund Sturge. The works for their business, John and E. Sturge, were later built on this site.
1840 John Sturge died
1840 Arthur Albright, brother in law of Edmund, joined the business
1842 Albright became a partner
1850 Listed as at "18 Wheeleys Lane, 100 Bath Row. Sturge, John and Edmund. Manufacturing Chemists". 
1851 The Sturge brothers opened a new phosphorus plant in Oldbury, an area already much industrialized
1854 Sold the Oldbury factory to Arthur Albright.
1858 Listed as "Sturge, John and Edmund. Manufacturing Chemists. 18 Wheeley's Lane; h. Wheeley's Hill Road, Edgbaston" 
1867 Listed as "17 and 18 Wheeley's Lane, Sturge, John and Edmund. Manufacturing Chemists". 
1876 Edmund retired from business.