Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,024 pages of information and 229,410 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John William Naylor (1827-1899)
1861 John William Naylor, Wellington Foundry, Leeds.
1863 Became a partner in Fairbairn, Kennedy and Naylor
1899 Obituary 
John William Naylor was born on 1st August 1827, at Folly, Beeston Hill, Leeds, where his family were well known as cloth manufacturers.
In 1848 he went to work in the old Wellington Foundry of Sir Peter Fairbairn, maker of flax and woollen machinery.
In 1863, two years after the death of Sir Peter Fairbairn, he was taken into partnership by his son Sir Andrew Fairbairn, along with Mr. T. S. Kennedy (Proceedings 1894, page 598); and from 1883 he was managing director of the concern.
He was also a director of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, chairman of the income-tax commissioners in the Leeds district, and a justice of the peace for Leeds and for the West Riding of Yorkshire.
He resided at Chapel Allerton, near Leeds; and his death took place suddenly while on a visit to London, on 4th June 1899, in the seventy-second year of his age.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1861, and was also a Member of the Iron and Steel Institute.
1899 Obituary 
JOHN WILLIAM NAYLOR, managing director of the firm of Fairbairn, Naylor, Macpherson & Co., of Leeds, died suddenly in London on June 4, 1899, in his seventy-second year. His early associations with the great engineering works of which he subsequently became the practical head were of a most modest character. As a raw lad he went to work for the celebrated Peter Fairbairn, who, marking his diligence, helped him to grow with the business. In 1863, two years after Sir Peter Fairbairn's death, Sir Andrew Fairbairn took him into partnership. In the twenty years that had elapsed since his entry into the works, he had passed with credit through all grades.
In 1883 the style of the firm was altered, but he remained a director. He also acted as director of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company, and held the office of chairman of the Income-tax Commissioners in the Leeds district.
He was a justice of the peace for the city of Leeds as well as for the West Riding, and was a munificent contributor to the building of a new church at Chapel Allerton, where he lived. He was a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1889.