Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John William Johnson (1844-1896)
1897 Obituary 
JOHN WILLIAM JOHNSOX, younger son of the late Rev. John Johnson, M.A., was born on the 23rd May, 1844.
In December, 1867, he was appointed to the Public Works Department of the Government of India as an Assistant Engineer under the Stanley covenant. After some years on road work in Lower and Eastern Bengal, he was in charge of the Port Fund works at Chittagong, and designed and to a great extent constructed the Dacca Waterworks.
In 1879 he was posted to the Hazaribagh Division and in the following year obtained permanent rank as an Executive Engineer.
From Hazaribagh he was transferred to the Chittagong Division in 1882, and in 1883 his services were placed at the disposal of the Commissioner of the Dacca Division as Superintendent of District Works.
From the spring of 1886 to the autumn of 1887 Mr. Johnson was at home on furlough. On his return he was appointed Inspector of Local Works in the Burdwan and Orissa Divisions, and in 1889 his duties were increased by the inclusion of the Bhagalpur Division.
He was thus engaged until April, 1892, when he was transferred to Assam as Executive Engineer of the Cachar Division.
In May, 1896, he took furlough for eighteen months and came to England. His health, however, broke down and he died at Guernsey on the 12th October, 1896.
Mr. Johnson was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 14th April, 1874, and was transferred to the class of Member on the 3rd December, 1878.