From Graces Guide
John Whinfield of Pipewellgate, Gateshead who constructed the second locomotive ever built in the world to the design of Richard Trevithick
Reports of Trevithick’s Pen-y-Darren locomotive came to the attention of Christopher Blackett, the proprietor of Wylam Colliery (Newcastle), who ordered a locomotive from Trevithick. This was built at Whinfield’s Foundry, Pipewellgate, Gateshead owned by Trevithick’s sort-of-agent for the North East, John Whinfield.
A Trevithick-type locomotive built for Wylam by John Whinfield of Gateshead in 1805 never went into service, and the line was relaid with L-shaped plate rails in 1808.
Two cast iron cupboards (or safes?) dated 1813 can be seen at Beamish Museum. Both include 'Gateshead', while one also has 'Bishop Aukland' cast in (see photos).
Sources of Information
- Timothy Hackworth and the Locomotive by Robert Young. Published 1923.